Monday, August 20, 2012

A not so German experience in German village. And guys with guns.

Hallo meine Lieben,

I hope you had a wonderful weekend! Mine was awesome. We went to German village in Columbus on Saturday and we spent Sunday at our friends' new house (an old farm house). 
What did you do?

We had two main reasons to go to German village: we really wanted to see the huge book store, it has 32 rooms full of books. And David wanted to see if the Bratwurst at the German restaurant is a real German Bratwurst. 

It was around 1 p.m. when we arrived at the German village that's why we started our day in the restaurant. We had to wait almost an hour to get a table which was very annoying for me but pretty normal for an American like David. The played some nice music outside while we were waiting: The Ententanz and Dschingis Kahn for example. I was proud because I was the only one who knew the German lyrics. Haha. 




After what seemed like ages a girl in a weird Dirndl brought us to our table and we ordered. Salad for me because Germans only eat meat according to their menu. And Bratwurst with Sauerkraut and Reibekuchen (potato pancakes in English, Grumperküschelcha in Saarländisch)  for David. David said the Bratwurst was okay but not like the ones he tried in Germany. I expected that outcome because their Bratwurst didn't really look like German Bratwurst. Plus they had stuff like "Knockwurst" and "Weiner Schnitzel" on their menu. If you are a real German you know that it's "Knackwurst" and "Wiener Schnitzel". So I am not sure if they have any Germans working there, I did not hear a single German word during our day there.




Plus all the "German pastries" might be delicious but they are definitely not German. And I have to say that "fudge" is definitely not a German thing. Even when they sell it in "Schmidt's German fudge and gift house". 
But yeah, we had an awesome time and lots of fun....just not a very German time. 




After that we walked around in German village for a while, looked at the "Hausfrau Haven" (Hausfrau means housewife) and other funny little stores and then went to the Book Loft. 
Which is an awesome place
32 rooms full of books, posters and puzzles.
I have no idea how long we have been there but I got completely lost and it felt more like a museum than a book store. 




I looked for a vegan baking book but didn't find one. But it's definitely worth a trip because they offer all kinds of books, you just need lots of time to look at everything.




If you ever travel to Columbus you should definitely plan a visit at the Book Loft.



Only funny when you are German: Toffifee is called Toffifay in America. I wonder why they changed that. 

Thanks Schatz, for an awesome day! 




Oh, and while we walked around in German village we saw some guys walking around with guns which was a little scary to see after all the recent shooting but it didn't stop me from taking some pictures. That was probably a bad idea, David wasn't very excited about it but we did not get shot. And I still have my left arm.
Here's the proof. 2 big guns and guys completely dressed in black. Nice.



Have a great week!

26 comments:

  1. I could never get used to people walking around with guns...I have to say I am a little scared to visit the US for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't really have to be scared...you don't see weird gun people all the time. These were the first ones I have seen. :)

      Delete
  2. What were those guys with the guns doing? That is really scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know...they just walked there on the street and then they stopped at the car. A third guy went to a house. It was really weird.

      Delete
  3. ive never seen anyone walking around with guns...funny people are 'scared' to visit the US b/c of that haha.

    and ive totally been to schmidts when i lived in ohio. fun little place!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were the first gun people I have ever seen. :) Really weird!

      It is a fun little place. Cool that you've been there too!

      Delete
  4. Hmmm it is Toffifee in Canada too? Odd. That is too bad that you didn't get the German experience you wanted, but glad you still had a good day and that you didn't get shot! ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, it is really weird that it Toffifee in Canada and Germany but not in America!
      We had a very fun time and I am glad we went. We did not really know what to expect. :)

      Delete
  5. wow, i'd love to get lost in that book store! well i went to The Ritz!!! so exciting, i'll never forget it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure it was very exciting! :)
      The book store was so awesome, I definitely want to go there again!

      Delete
  6. I'd love to go to that bookstore!
    The guys with guns thing is weird...
    I'd love to go to Helen, GA with you. My stepgrandparents say it's got some pretty legit stuff. http://www.helengeorgia.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That looks like an awesome place! They have a castle! Wow! Thanks for the link! I would love to go there with you. :)

      Delete
  7. That`s too bad that your German dining experience wasn`t all that great...couldn`t you order some sides, like Reibekuchen and Sauerkraut? I sometimes do that when I don`t like any of the mains.
    1 hour wait...are you kidding me? That`s horrible! I would rarely wait that long for a table.

    Toffifee is awesome! Do you like it? Can you buy it in US Supermarkets or only in German Town ;)

    At least you liked the book store! I could also spend days in stores like that...and drop a lot of money :/

    Cheers,
    Miss Sugar Shack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fine, it just wasn't German. :) Yeah, I usually order sides too when I can't find something vegetarian. But they made the Reibekuchen with onions (I asked) and there was meat in the Sauerkraut (how stupid is that?). So that was my only option. :)

      Yeah, one hour! I told David that I would never wait for a table in Germany that long but it seems to be normal in America.

      I loved Toffifee as a kid, I always ate a whole package. Haha. I never seen seen it anywhere else here. You can find Ritter Sport and Toblerone but not Toffifee. Or Toffifay.

      The book store was awesome. I could have spent lots of money there!

      Delete
  8. WE love going to German village. Haha, bummer it was a little disappointing for you! We love Thurman's Cafe and their burgers..yum!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fine, we had an awesome time! :)I haven't heard of Thurman's cafe but we have to check it out! Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  9. Hahaha, I love how "ungerman" "German" things are in the United States. They're not even authentic, and there's hardly any - it's really disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is really funny how ungerman things can be but they still tell you it's authentic. :)

      Delete
  10. Da werden ja mal wieder sämtliche Klischees bedient :) Kein Wunder, dass wir Deutschen im Ausland so dämlich dargestellt werden. Heieiei.

    Danke für deinen lieben Kommentar gestern <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alle Deutschen tragen Lederhosen, trinken den ganzen Tag Bier und essen Sauerkraut. Was gibts denn sonst noch über uns zu wissen? :)))

      Gerne, ich hoffe es geht Dir bald besser, Du Arme!

      Delete
  11. i heard that about america. why do we have to wait for a table to eat???
    that's not normal too in indonesia.

    the book store sounds like heaven to me.

    and that's just weird and scary. what did those guys do anyway? you're so brave taking their picture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't knot why. The first time a waiter told us that we have to wait that long I just wanted to leave again and look for another restaurant. But it seems to be normal. I never waited for a table in Germany. Maybe our restaurants are not that busy, I don't know.

      Wandering around with guns and scaring people. Maybe they were only paintball guns...

      Delete
  12. my au pair kids were obsessed with Toffifee. You need to come to our German town in Texas, New Braunfels and go to the themed water park Schlitterbahn (#1 in the USA!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think almost everybody in Germany loves Toffifee. But the commercials are always really stupid.
      I really need to come to your German town in Texas, that sounds awesome! I have to tell David about this, it sounds so cool! Schlitterbahn! How cool is that?

      Delete
  13. Another "whaaaat?" Do you seriously wait for an hour to be seated in a restaurant? We wait 30 minutes tops. But we'd never asked to wait for as long as 60 minutes.

    ... Wait! Actually, when we went to Disneyland, we wanted to dine at the restaurant that is within the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction (the tables are underground where the little boats sail by, haha) and we were told that the waiting list was 6 months ... But we didn't wait in line, naturally, hahaha!

    I can't believe they misspelled the German dishes ... Although I totally can, actually :/.

    And maybe those guns were fake? Either way, I agree in that it was a complicated situation to snap, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it would have been funny to wait in line for 6 months! :)
      They first told us that we have to wait 30-45 minutes but it took longer than that. In Germany I would never wait for a table. :) Haha.

      Yeah, I am pretty sure those were paintball guns but it's still weird to walk around with them in the neighborhood. Put them in a bag!

      Delete

Please leave a comment...