Sunday, January 26, 2014

Five Things. A vegan butcher, a sheep necklace and a fruity mustard.

Hallo meine Lieben,

happy Sunday! I hope you are enjoying your weekend and you are not snowed in. 
Please check out my friend Celeste's post here where she talks about 10 things from around the world. You don't want to miss that.


1. A book series. 

There is a book series called "Rivers of London" by Ben Aaronovitch which is under the top 20 of my to-read-list. And that means something because that list is huge. 

On the cover it says "What would happen if Harry Potter grew up and joined the Fuzz". I think this was enough to make me want to start reading the series. I am planning to download the first book at some point today and start reading it. Here is what it's about (according to Goodreads):

"Probationary Constable Peter Grant dreams of being a detective in London's Metropolitan Police. Too bad his superior plans to assign him to the Case Progression Unit, where the biggest threat he'll face is a paper cut. But Peter's prospects change in the aftermath of a puzzling murder, when he gains exclusive information from an eyewitness who happens to be a ghost. Peter's ability to speak with the lingering dead brings him to the attention of Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, who investigates crimes involving magic and other manifestations of the uncanny. Now, as a wave of brutal and bizarre murders engulfs the city, Peter is plunged into a world where gods and goddesses mingle with mortals and long-dead evil is making a comeback on a rising tide of magic."

Em gave it 6 out of 10 points so I try not to have my hopes up too high but the story sounds so interesting that I need to check it out myself. You can find her review here.


2. This shirt.


Star Wars and vegan. Perfect combination. Yoda has always been my favorite character so I think this is pretty cool. It is from an Etsy shop called sitproperly. I wish I could buy everything from Etsy I want. 


3. A vegan butcher.

This story sounds kind of strange. A butcher from Frankfurt, Germany who went vegan last summer decided to start producing and selling vegan counterparts of his normal meaty products. It is such a success that he decided to open a store which only sells vegan products soon. People travel from far away to get his vegan ground "meat" made of rice or wurst made of buckwheat. He says he sells more vegan meat than regular meat now. I hope that means that he will stop being a butcher at all and concentrates on the vegan "meat". I don't really know how you can combine that because I clearly could not slaughter any animals. But I like the fact that a butcher became vegan and started producing products for vegans. Yay for that. You can find the whole story here. Unfortunately it is only in German.


4. This necklace.


It is the "In my heart" sheep necklace from Vaute Couture, a company I really adore because they sell the most beautiful all vegan dresses made of recycled materials. And I really like anything sheep-related. 


5. This mustard.


You know, I always get addicted to different kind of foods and then I want to eat nothing else but that...well, my newest food addiction is fig mustard. I can't even describe how it tastes but it is fruity and spicy and yummy. I just dip it with bread, that is how good it is. 


I hope you are having a fantastic Sunday!



21 comments:

  1. Hmm...I don't see how you could be a butcher and be vegan, so hopefully this means he will stop butchering animals altogether. I can't even stand the sight or smell of meat!

    That mustard sounds so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't understand it. As far as I understand the video, he does not slaughter himself but he prepares the meat and sells it. But I could never do anything like this....
      The mustard is sooo good! Can't stop eating it!

      Delete

  2. Im glad to read you again. Thanks for sharing the one more impressive and useful information.
    Best for you Buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I really need to start reading it! Hope you will like it!

      Delete
  4. Fig Mustard is probably one of the most german concoctions I've ever heard. And that butcher sounds so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess Germans like their mustard in all variations! :) I would love to go to try that vegan stuff!

      Delete
  5. Hi Katrin!

    Nice post.
    I love having tangy mustard sauce with pizzas!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ankita! I never had mustard with pizza but sounds delicious! :)

      Delete
  6. Nice post Katrin. Did I read it correct? Vegan dresses?
    And, that necklace is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Yes, they don't use any animal-derived products like wool or silk or angora etc. Love that necklace so much!

      Delete
  7. Such a cute shirt. I’m a huge fan of Star Wars & Yoda, hehe! I’ve heard a lot about vegan butchers. Do you remember Girl & The Goat post I did in Chicago? It’s not 100% vegan and they serve meat and seafood and all. Apparently their butcher is vegan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cool that you are a huge Star Wars and Yoga fan as well! He is my favorite character! Yeah, I remember that post! That place looks fantastic and I love that they have a vegan menu. There should be more vegans. :)

      Delete
  8. Okaz, that vegan butcher thing is really cool!! And that book series looks good. I'm always looking for new books to read so I will need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can check out the books as well! Let me know what you think!

      Delete
  9. That's really cool about the butcher. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...